Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Spinach Rice Casserole

 So far, this is a favorite!  It makes a ton so I was able to eat it for lunch all week, it has lots of good stuff in it. I am not a huge fan of spinach however I chopped it up so finely, and there is so much other good stuff in it, that the flavor was not overpowering. This is going into my vegetarian hall of fame!
 This recipe called for a lot of ingredients. I am trying to cut back on my dairy so I used almond milk and subbed half the cheese for dairy free "cheese".  I also used brown rice as always.  The eggs and "milk" are listed as optional. Unless you want to make this a vegan dish, I would go ahead and add them. It makes for a  more moist dish. I also used a lot more sunflower seeds than the recipe called for. This was a great move. It added some crunchiness and additional texture to the casserole.
 2 lbs of spinach sounded like a lot. I bought two bags and each bag was 9oz so I used a lot less than it called for. I do think that 2lbs might be a bit much but I may try it next time since spinach is such a great source of iron.
 Elijah was a great helper in the kitchen as always. :)  He loves being worn when I am moving around....not so much a fan when I am sitting still....like now....I am in front on the computer wearing him and he is not thrilled.

This was a great recipe and my in laws and neighbor came over for dinner the night I served this. Everyone enjoyed it and had seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment