Saturday, August 13, 2011

Succotash Chowder

I am beginning the chowder section of the book. This week it was Succotash! For those of you that don't know, succotash is corn and lima beans together. Sufferin' succotash! First the recipe called for fresh limas. I used frozen. Really just as good as fresh and so much easier. As always, a little more onion was used than the recipe called for. And I also used skim milk. This recipe is virtually fat free. I may try to use Almond milk for the next one to make it vegan...though I am going to be on bed-rest this week and it might be a good idea to make life easier and use skim milk again because I know that works. I definitely don't want to ruin my weeks of lunches when someone else will be taking care of me.


Here you can see the onion and celery cooking together. This is usually the point when Chip wanders into the kitchen and asks what I am cooking because it smells so good!


After you add the limas and corn to the onion mixture, it is recommended that you put half into a food processor to make a thicker soup. I did this, then added the milk and was not happy with the thickness SO.........I pulled out my hand submersion blender (Thank you Janet Parish!) and thickened it up. I did not blend it to the point of smoothness as this should be a chunky soup, but because no cream is used, I wanted to give it a more chowdery texture.



The soup was delicious. Huge success! I am looking forward to this up coming week's vegetable chowder! Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment