Sunday, August 7, 2011

Minestrone Soup

This was, by far, the best minestrone soup I have ever eaten! It has an amazing rich flavor and a great variety of vegetables. First some alterations from the original recipe.



I always go a little over with the onions. The recipe called for two cups, I probably added about 1/4 to 1/2 cup more. I used zucchini, though the recipe says you can use eggplant instead or in addition. I do like eggplant but just didn't have any in the house. This is a great recipe to go overboard with the seasonings. Sometimes, as I found out with the cream of celery soup, it is not a good idea. In this case, it worked! A little extra of all the herbs made this soup very rich and delicious. Mine was also a little thicker and more of a stew due to the tomato puree. I used two 14 ounce cans.





The recipe also calls for parsley to be used as a garnish. Parsley is a great herb full of antioxidants and so I chose to add a couple large handfuls in the soup as it cooked so I can fully reap all the benefits parsley has to offer....and it was a perfect addition! I ate this soup all week long and never got sick of it. Towards the end of the week, I noticed some fresh mozzarella in the fridge and tried putting a couple chunks on the soup before reheating it in the microwave. This was a great idea! Not only did it taste amazing but mozzarella cheese is naturally low in fat so it added calcium without making it unhealthy. Bon Appetit!






No comments:

Post a Comment