Sunday, September 26, 2010

Mushroom Moussaka

Here it is ready to be served!
The casserole comes out bubbly and fabulous!


Mark helped Wrigley see what was going on up there!

The fabulous Mushroom Sauce!
I have never had Moussaka before this so I have no basis for comparison but, WOW! It was delicious and I am happy to say that I have an entire casserole to enjoy throughout the week. This is a very low fat, vegetarian dish full of flavor, fiber, mushrooms and herbs. There four layers to this dish. A layer of eggplant, the thick and tomato-y mushroom sauce, another layer of eggplant and topped off with the wonderful Bechamel Sauce! I do have some notes on alternation as well as what I will do differently next time. First of all, I used, as always, non fat milk. I hope to eventually use my almond milk for these things but I don't know if the Bechamel Sauce would have thickened. Next time, I would probably use 4 eggplants instead of 3. The top layer wasn't completely covered. Also, although my Bechamel Sauce was AMAZING, I think it turned out a lot thicker than it was suppose to. This top layer browns in the oven if you leave it in long enough and almost has a light cheese sauce flavor to it. That layer is probably the least healthy, but again I used non fat milk and light margarine and really only 3 tablespoons of the margarine for the entire casserole. It was a delicious experience that I will enjoy for the week to come. Now, as many of you know, I severely injured my foot last weekend so, alas, no heavy duty workouts for me for a while. With that in mind, I will be moving to the salad section of the Moosewood cookbook to try to keep the weight down. So look forward to some great light salad recipes in the weeks to come!



1 comment:

  1. I had the exact opposite problem with my Bechamel sauce--mine turned out too runny, and I needed to use a bit more flour to even get it to buttermilk consistency. :( I used whole-wheat flour and 2% lowfat milk, so I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it. :p All in all, it was tasty; the Bechamel just came out a bit thinner than I'd expect it to in a moussaka dish.

    ReplyDelete